Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Catching the Best Flickr Images- free


I came across a great guide: finding and using incredible images in flickr at the Skelliewag blog site. In the post Skellie describes the kinds of licenses attributed to flickr images and what they mean. You are not permitted to use images that are marked copyrighted; however, you are allowed to use any image in flickr's creative commons. There are six types of creative commons licenses; the one that give you the most freedom will say attribution license. This license allows you to modify the images (by cropping them, or writing on them, for example) and to use them in both commercial and non-commercial spaces. The only requirement is that you credit the author with a link back to their profile (credit for this picture.)

Not only did the post explain flickr creative commons, but it also highlighted the advantages of using flickr over other image searches, like Google and Stock photos. I think my favorite part of the post was a section called Finding the best images to suit your needs, which walks you through the steps to speedily finding great creative commons-attribution license images to use in your blog. Excellent. I found this advice so helpful, that I wanted to share it with other readers. I also bookmarked flickr search page for attribution licensed images where I found this image.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is great information. I have always wanted a way to get great photographs for presentations and now I not only know how to find great pics but also do it legally.

Thanks!